Saturday, May 1, 2010

Yeasayer

I was ridiculously busy in the first part of February getting all the systems in place to build the company the way I see fit, and amongst the madness, the ever-amazing Jonathan Wang called and left me a message to work on the new M.I.A. music video, I called moments later and reached his voicemail and by the time he got back to me they’d found somebody else. Bummed out to miss an amazing opportunity, I went back to consulting for TugTub and decided that would be my week until big man himself, TeamG’s Jett Steiger reached out for me to work in the Art. Dept. on a Yeasayer video. I jumped at the opportunity, even though I wasn’t super familiar with the band except for what Oliver showed me, I just wanted to work with the TeamG and Dandy Dwarves crew as we’d hired them out for The Dead Weather documentary last summer and they were awesome.




There was horrible rain that weekend and it took be about 2 hours to get 20 miles due to the rain. I arrived and immediately I was in over my head. We had a ton to do in art in a very small period of time, and cause of the rain we were 5 hours late in setting up. We prepped until 1am the first day, back up at 4am for 6am call time in rain, then a very physically demanding/high stress day.

The set called for a lot of neons and we had some trouble rigging them the morning of, but at the last minute right before we were about to strike them myself and the most amazing gaffer on the planet sorted it at the last minute. It was a really cool moment for me to prove myself to the producers.




The band was super cool and were totally hard working which always helps the production. The whole crew was really positive including the art director I worked under Peter Klein who is about the greatest person to to be next too in strenuous conditions.

All and all it was a great people, super fun vibe and the the goodness on set far outweighed the 19 hour days in the pouring rain.

Here is the video directed by Kirby (swoon) and Julia of Radical Friend:


No comments:

Post a Comment